Skip to main content

The MAS visits the Blues on Broadbeach Festival

For the past few years, the MAS has met up with a group of three others at Broadbeach on the Gold Coast to enjoy the Blues on Broadbeach Music Festival.
The four of us go back about 40 years – we all attended University (or Teacher’s College as it was then) together in Ballarat, after attending the same secondary school.
With a shared background in education, it’s interesting to note that only one of us now works in the classroom.
As the resident Queenslander, my task each year is to book suitable accommodation, recommend some places to eat, and provide the airport pickups. The first pickup this year was at Brisbane International as B flew in from Indonesia for the weekend. The weather was pretty ordinary as we rolled down the M1, and we had a catch-up conversation. At one point my friend said that while he knew the rest of us were really into the music part of the weekend, he was there for the social side of it – seeing again his three best friends. I will return to this in a moment.
A few hours later, the other two, S and J, arrived at Coolangatta Airport from Victoria. In drizzly, annoying rain we headed to Eddie’s Grub House for lunch, an excellent choice as it turned out. Then back to Broadbeach to find our accommodation (at Neptune Resort – very nice indeed) and to head out to the blues!
So, Friday as it was, was a washout – all outdoor events were cancelled, but we enjoyed each other’s company and returned to our unit reasonably early to drink a variety of IPAs and craft beers, and watch the AFL on television.
We four men in our late 50s have remained tight friends for many years, and we thoroughly enjoy seeing one another. Through serious illness, divorce, family issues involving children, and severe work pressures, we have been supportive, but non-intrusive for each other. In the last couple of years we have used an app to keep in touch, so instead of talking rarely by phone, we can spread our bullshit much more quickly, and in a very timely way.
B is correct; the important part of this weekend each year is not the music. It’s in remaining grounded and having fun with the people who, outside of our immediate families, are probably the most important and influential people in our lives.
As it turned out, we ended up seeing fewer music acts this year than in previous visits. But my highlight was Louie Shelton. To be honest, I had never heard his name before, but I have apparently been listening to his work on so many records over the years when he was playing with other artists, or writing music for them – unbelievable! Anyway, his show in the Broadbeach Mall on Saturday evening was just fantastic. I now have four of his albums (thanks Apple Music).

The day after we all returned home S messaged us all to point out that the dates for next year’s Blues on Broadbeach had been announced. We’re making plans already!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Middle-Aged Spectator wonders what to do with a record collection

I started collecting records when I was 11 years old. My parents had a lovely cabinet stereogram, had been members of the World Record Club, and had quite a number of classic and jazz LPs, so I knew about records, sort of. My first purchase was a single by Doug Parkinson in Focus, “Dear Prudence”, the Lennon/McCartney song. The first LP I bought, a year or so later, was Simon and Garfunkel’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water’. Many, many followed over the years, both singles and LPs, then cassettes and later CDs. Here’s the problem. I haven’t had a stereo player for records and cassettes for years. My CD player is actually a CD/DVD/Blu-ray player attached to the television and its speakers. I cannot play a record or a cassette. Our new car doesn’t even have a CD player! I now have an Apple Music subscription and a Spotify account. I have access to more music now than I have ever had before. I just don’t need these records and cassettes! So, what am I to do with them? My first thought was to

The Middle-Aged Spectator watched Queen’s Birthday Football

The MAS sat down in front of the TV on Monday afternoon to watch the AFL match between Melbourne and Collingwood, to be played at the MCG. While Melbourne has been a dreadful team in recent years, this game has been played as their ‘Grand Final’, and the contest has usually been competitive, if not enthralling. Yesterday’s edition was a ripper. There was a moment late in the last quarter that was sublime – one of those transcendent things that happen in sport occasionally that can give the viewer goose bumps or even bring tears. In 2009 the Demons debuted their number 1 draft pick, Jack Watts, in the Round 11 Queen’s Birthday match. Watts had been the subject of the usual media hyperbole at the time of his drafting – he was a private school educated boy, a privileged background perfect for the club that is seen more than any other to reflect ‘privileged’ Melbourne. As a schoolboy Jack was a gun – an outstanding talent – and it was no surprise to anybody that he would be drafted

The Middle Aged Spectator considers the "Sheesus!" controversy

On 2nd June 2019, Brisbane’s Sunday Mail splashed this on the front page as their lead story: Sunday Mail, 2-6-2019 What followed was a breathless take by the journalist about “elite schools” changing the wording of prayers to promote a gender-neutral concept of God. Apparently this is the work of the PC-crazy leftists in our schools! I have a few thoughts about this, but first a disclaimer. I consider myself a “poor Catholic”. I attended state schools for my primary education, and then a Catholic boys’ secondary school. My initial teacher-training was taken at a Catholic institution, and I worked in Catholic schools from 1978 to 2016. I have studied theology, sacramental theology and moral theology. I state this not to claim authority, but to simply give background to my opinion. I have a feeling that the lead article, the editorial (on p.62), and many of the more than 200 comments online, are nothing more than confected outrage. There are a number of reasons f